Coffee is a highly popular beverage and is very popular in the UK. It has gained popularity over the past few years, and drinking coffee has become a common part of many people’s everyday lives.
Coffee has proved to be a popular drink for many reasons, one of which is the way it makes us feel. For some people, drinking coffee makes them feel motivated and alert, while for others, it makes them tired.
Did you know that coffee contains sulfur, in addition to its caffeine? In fact, this is one of the main things that sets coffee apart from other foods.
Sulfur also plays a role in the creation of the chlorogenic acid in coffee, which helps to reduce the risk of heart disease and in the metabolism of fat.
What is sulfite?
Sulfites are a common ingredient found in all types of processed foods and drinks, and are added to many foods to ensure that the food doesn’t spoil and make you sick.
However, if you are sensitive to sulfites, which means that you react to them, then you may experience adverse reactions such as a flushing reaction (which is usually assumed to be the result of dehydration), nausea, and headaches.
They can be found in wine, and is used to preserve some wines. They are also found in dried fruit, and in some types of dried herbs, especially those that contain dried herbs.
They can also be found in dried apples, dried cranberries, and dried strawberries.
Is it dangerous to consume foods with sulfites?
The use of sulfites in food production has been a hot topic of late, with many health and lifestyle bloggers claiming that sulfites are a health risk that must be avoided. Of course, the products that claim to be sulfite-free are often themselves full of sulfites.
While it’s true that there are different levels of sulfite allergy, it’s unlikely that it’s dangerous to ingest foods with sulfites, unless you have specific issues with health.
What are the risk if you have sulfites allergies?
Sulfur dioxide (SO2) is a naturally occurring gas found in countless foods and drinks. It’s a group of compounds that is used in the food industry as a preservative.
Sulfites are often used as a preservative in wine, dried fruit, and other foods in order to preserve them, so that they don’t decay as quickly. However, they can also be used as a masking agent for the presence of other food allergens.
This creates a risk for people who have an allergic reaction to foods that contain sulfites.
Here some list of sulfite allergy reactions:
Nearly all people with histamines (the chemical responsible for causing an allergic reaction) and sulfites (the chemical used to preserve food and drinks) allergies have to suffer from headaches, at an alarming rate. This is why they advise people with these allergies to avoid consuming foods containing these substances.
Also, it is a must to know that this kind of headaches are more likely to occur in humans who are suffering from other kind of headaches, and that they are not related to sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses) or to other allergic problems.
- Rashes, hives, swelling of the mouth and lips.
One of the most common causes of sulfite allergy is the inhalation of small amounts of sulfites. If you are allergic to them you may experience a range of symptoms including severe itching, hives, swelling of the throat, difficulty breathing and swelling of the tongue, lips or eyelids.
- Wheezing or trouble breathing.
Studies have shown that certain people have a sensitivity to sulfites that can result in symptoms such as wheezing or difficulty breathing.
However, research into the long-term effects of sulfites on humans is limited. The jury is still out on whether an intolerance to sulfites is dangerous.
- Asthma attack (in people with asthma)
If you’re one of the four to five percent of the world’s population that suffers from asthma, you’re probably familiar with the dreaded symptoms of an asthma attack.
Shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing and quickness to panic are all common reactions to an asthma attack. But did you know that some of these symptoms can be caused by ingesting food additives?
Food additives such as sulfites, which are used as preservatives, can sometimes cause a reaction that can be mistaken for an asthma attack.
What food has the most sulfites?
The food industry loves sulfites because they are an effective preservative that is well-known to the general public. Sulfites are used for everything from marshmallows to teas, jams, and processed foods.
- Baked goods.
- Soup mixes.
- Canned vegetables.
- Pickled foods.
- Dried fruit.
- Potato chips.
What drinks contain sulfites?
- Dried fruits (excluding dark raisins and prunes)
- Bottled lemon juice (non-frozen)
- Bottled lime juice (non-frozen)
- Sauerkraut (and its juice)
- Grape juices (white, white sparkling, pink sparkling, red sparkling)
- Pickled cocktail onions.
How to manage sulfite sensitivity?
It is extremely important to note that not all coffee drinkers are going to experience adverse reactions to sulfites. However, those who do have a sensitivity to sulfites will get sick at a much higher rate than the average coffee drinker.
This is because a large percentage of sulfites are naturally present in the environment.
- Take antihistamine
Antihistamines are commonly used to treat allergies. They are taken by mouth to relieve symptoms of a particular allergy, Including sulfite allergies.
They may also be used to relieve symptoms of other conditions that cause allergic reactions, such as nasal congestion from colds or hay fever. Antihistamines are also used to help relieve symptoms of hay fever after exercise or humidity.